Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Adventure Begins...Again.

We've only just begun and already I'm annoyed. It usually takes a little longer for that to happen.

First the standard email telling us about email procedures. It's the standard stuff, please don't send your guy a dear john email or tell him about his dead grandma or send other bad news. Your email can be flagged and read (I try to include juicy stuff for the possible extra readers. I'm nice like that), no more than 350 words. Wait, what? Since when? That's like a freaking status update on facebook. So I went and copied and pasted my last email, which wasn't more than a page, into works and came up with, dun dun duuun over 1000 words. Awesome.  I know, I know. I 'm excessively wordy, but my husband actually wants my email to be long because it reads more like a conversation and it makes him feel more like he's here. He likes the detail. I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but I think I'm going to ignore the 350 word limit. Yeah, we used to get much less than that when we relied solely on the ten 50 word family grams. Anyone remember those? But I don't feel like going backward and I'm pretty sure my husband would be ticked if I suddenly cut what I write. We'll see how this plays out.

Next I get the email for the next FRG meeting and it reads like directions to the effing batcave. I'm sure I'm exaggerating, but I only just got my driver's license a year ago and did not drive before that. It is my firm belief that people like me really shouldn't drive. I'm clumsy on my feet, driving is worrisome. It reads like this "go to blah blah subdivision, make right into blah blah subdivision (a sub sub division? I don't know) go to gate, scroll through blah A call blah to open the gate, go through gate, go to this street, make right." I think I'll end up at Wayne Manor at the end.

Finally I got an email from the ombudsman referring to the test phone message. Guess who didn't get called? Great. I'm going to have another one those patrols where I'm constantly in someone's blind spot. I'm trying to be positive. This isn't our last boat, perhaps this will work the way it's supposed to and I'll get all my messages from here on out once I notify the ombudsman.


On the plus side I have gotten emails, which is awesome. I haven't even had a chance to miss him yet and I've got emails. On our last boat I was lucky to get ten quick emails, last patrol I got an email nearly every day for a couple of weeks which was more than I'd ever gotten before and this time, we already have it. I feel very lucky. I know, the system could go down, they won't email for awhile during some periods. I expect that, but I'm pretty happy with the back and forth communication so far.

No comments: